Top 5: Influential People

Aidan Robbins: The True Music Man

Marcy L Price

Aidan Robbins poses with his saxophone after his band performance on May 16.

By Marcy L Price, Reporter

Walking into the band room in past advisories, and witnessing the laughs and musical atmosphere made it more welcoming for me to walk in and stay. Seeing band students getting to know everyone. I saw at the heart of it all: Aidan Robbins. Robbins helps lift up the band, gives motivation and is a reliable leader for the band to believe in.
Junior saxophone player Alyssa Isackson expresses how Robbins is a very important model student and performer in the band.
“He never hesitates to play, he just goes for it which encourages other players to play as well. He always has positive things to say about everyone,” Isackson said.
Isackson also explains that Robbins shows adaptive leadership skills by always being willing to play another instrument if needed. He’s willing to take up anything.
Isackson met Robbins in middle school and heard him play the saxophone for the first time.
I asked her why she thought he was really good at the saxophone, and she told me because of his true love and dedication for the instrument, and music in general.
Isackson also includes how Robbins is an important aspect to her and her performance in the band.
She realised that going through middle school and being able to continue to play with him in high school helped her improve as a saxophone player and gain the confidence to get to know everyone in the band.
Robbins also displays a humble attitude towards his progress, knowing he has played exceptionally well but includes the progress of the band as a whole.
“It’s not one good player who makes the band,” Robbins said.
Robbins credits his teachers who made him a better performer and person, including his UWS saxophone professor, Dr. Greg Moore, his parents, his family, and his very own band teacher, Daniel Eaton.
Eaton, who says he appreciates all that Robbins contributes to the band, also believes he is a humble person and performer.
“He’s a sponge, he wants to learn, he wants to soak it up. It’s like, where’s the next adventure,” Eaton said.
He expresses how Robbins is always ready to jump into something new right on the spot, whether playing a brand new instrument or being flexible and reading brand new music on sight.
“He just says ok, and plays it,” Eaton said.
Other students in the band have also been affected by Robbins, including junior tuba player Daniel Youngberg.
Youngberg includes how Robbins has put in effort to fill any spots in the band that were needed. He also includes that Robbins has done drum major, conducting the band, and learned how to play clarinet.
Youngberg says Robbins also is very outgoing, energetic and also very personable.
“He can literally talk to anybody in the band and hit it off,” Youngberg said.
Robbins believes he has matured as a person in the last few years, participating in band camps, and getting to connect with people over the love of music. Robbins says making great music even with people he doesn’t know gives him a great feeling.
I asked Robbins what he would tell his younger self, an inspirational tribute.
“No matter how stressed you are, it’ll be worth it,” Robbins said.
“He can fill any spot pretty much, and him leaving for Virginia will mean there will be a hole that will never be filled,” Youngberg said.
Isackson also expressed sorrow for Robbins’ upcoming departure.
“The whole section and the whole band looks up to him a lot, it’s going to be a disappointment when he leaves,” Isackson said.
When I told Robbins of his nomination, he said he was surprised and grateful.
“I’m happy to know that I’ve helped shape the Spartan community in some way, hopefully a good way,” Robbins said.
Robbins will be greatly missed and I hope he forges ahead with his wonderful talents in his newfound journey.