Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Spring sports recap

Olivia Essien
Captain Micky Little (right) recreates a Jack Sparrow run while he runs the pole vaulter relay with freshman Jette Leopold at the Cloquet Relay Meet on April 30, 2024. The two proudly took the lead which gave Little the perfect opportunity to be silly.

Girls soccer

Girls soccer had a record of 7-7-1. They lost on May 28 to the Hudson Raiders 6-0 in the regional game. The team had many firsts this year. They had their first winning year in the Big Rivers Conference, first time scoring more than six goals in a game, and first year mercy-ruling a team. The Spartans beat the Hayward Hurricanes 9-1 in 63 minutes. Some impactful players were senior Autumn Cooper and juniors Brynn Johnson, Anna Manion, and Maggie Mueller. 

Junior Brynn Johnson gears up for a kick to her teammates at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex on May 17, 2024.
(Carissa Vagt)

Boys lacrosse

Boys lacrosse had their inaugural season. They finished the season with a record of 1-9. Top players included senior Lucas Williams, junior Tyler Olson, and sophomore Easton McGuire. 

Boys Lacrosse players huddle before their game at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex on May 18, 2024.

Girls lacrosse

Girls lacrosse had their inaugural season where they ended with a record of 1-12. Playmakers for the girls team were senior Miyah Voltzke and sophomore Addy Benson. 

Sophomore Addy Benson (27) guards the ball at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex on May 5, 2024.  (Carissa Vagt)

Track and field 

With a very young team, boys track and field placed sixth in the Lake Superior Conference, with the girls team placing fifth. The combined team sent over 40 athletes to compete in regionals in Menominee, with sophomores Tyler Willoghby and Elena Almonte, and junior Tayler McMeekin making it to the sectional tournament in Hudson. McMeekin advanced to the state meet in the 1600 meter run on May 31, placing 14.

Junior Tayler McMeekin and sophomore Elena Almonte run the last laps of their mile race at the annual Packy Paquette Meet on April 4, 2024.

Sophomore Tyler Willoughby prepares for his first pole vault attempt of the day at Menomonie on May 20, 2024. (Carissa Vagt)

Baseball

Finishing with a record of 8-14 and in Lake Superior Conference play a record of 3-3 the Spartans finished the season with a WIAA playoff loss to Eau Claire Memorial. Standouts for the Spartans include sophomores Jayce Rue, Cameron LaPorte, Calvin Anderson, juniors Hudson Helenius, Evan Blomfelt and Owen Blomfelt, and seniors Andrew Melgeorge and Lucas Androski.

Sophomore Calvin Anderson (26) bats at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex against Rock Ridge on April 12, 2024

Softball

With only four seniors on the softball team the Spartans had a record of 13-7-1 and advanced to the second round of the WIAA playoffs losing to the New Richmond Tigers 4-3. Standouts for the team were senior Alayna Degraef, and juniors Paige “Peeps” Johnson and Melania Luostari. 

Junior pitcher Mattie Schilling beats out a throw to first at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex on Monday, Apr. 22, 2024.
(Brendan Farrell)

Boys tennis  

Boys tennis had an off year, with four out of six varsity players being upperclassmen. Despite their losses, they still found success throughout the year and concluded with only good comments. Senior Kevin Phu, sophomore Jack Mueller, and freshman Aiden Pagnucci stood out this year with the top three highest win rates. 

Senior Kevin Phu jumps up to hit the ball back to his competitor’s side at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex on April 24, 2024.

Boys Golf

With a very young boys golf squad this season the youth showed, but the future is bright, with many key young players such as sophomores Ezekiel Simiyu, Leo Drougas, Ryan Pettingill, and freshman Tanner Locken. Locken shot a 79 in the Spartan Invitational propelling the Spartans to a 3rd place finish in the tournament. Other key players include senior captains Ian Isackson and Trent Peterson.

Sophomore Kevin Heinbuch gears up to take swing at Nemadji Golf Course on May 6, 2024.  (Submitted by Autumn Cooper and Ryah Samarzia)