Fall Ball Returns for the First Time in Two Years

Freshmen+Aubree+Munich+and+Kaitlyn+Forester+dance+at+Fall+Ball.+Fall+Ball+returned+in+2021+after+missing+a+year+due+to+COVID.+

Owen Shilling

Freshmen Aubree Munich and Kaitlyn Forester dance at Fall Ball. Fall Ball returned in 2021 after missing a year due to COVID.

By Sasha Peterson

Over 500 students lined the staircase at the University of Wisconsin-Superior on Oct. 16. Almost half of the student population attended the event, which cost $25 for a single ticket and $40 for a couples ticket.

“We had over 500 tickets sold, which is the most we’ve ever sold since before I started working for the district,” Principal Rick Flaherty said. 

“Fall Ball is important because it brings the school community together, especially since the cohorts have been separated over the last year,” senior Kaine Onwudiegwu said.

The pandemic has caused students to miss out on many important experiences of high school. Reminders of the difficult year were showcased as students could be seen wearing masks, which were purchased or hand-made to match their attire. Masks were required by the university in adherence to UW System regulations.

According to freshman Aubrey Munich, the fall ball was a success. Munich attended her first Fall Ball this year. 

Students found a way to make the most of the situation, by participating in traditions like going out to eat for dinner in the hours before the dance.

“Usually I like to go with my friends to Julie’s,” senior Astrid Zambori said.

Student Council supervisor Nikkee Francisco says she loves seeing kids have so much pride in dressing up and having fun with all types of students from all social groups. As a student, she attended high school dances. Her favorite part was being able to dance with her friends, especially at Halloween dances. 

“It means a lot to the students to attend a semi-formal off campus event. We have rarely had issues and it really boosts student morale,” Francisco said.