Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Polls

What is your favorite social media platform?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Science teacher leads martial arts club

Northland+science+teacher+John+Kedrowski+%28middle%29+teaches+new+martial+arts+moves+to+sophomores+Jermy+Haworth+%28right%29+and+Zadrian+Outzen+%28left%29+on+Thursday%2C+Oct.+19.+Each+club+day+they+learn+a+new+skill+on+the+list.+
Northland science teacher John Kedrowski (middle) teaches new martial arts moves to sophomores Jermy Haworth (right) and Zadrian Outzen (left) on Thursday, Oct. 19. Each club day they learn a new skill on the list.

John Kedrowski, Northland science teacher, leads the Martial Arts club on Thursdays. Students begin by placing their backpacks and other belongings to the side as well as taking their shoes off. Students and Kedrowski sit in a circle, legs crossed, on the hard floor in the middle of the Northland Commons.

This is not your average science lesson, Kedrowski has a lot of experience with different types of martial arts. 

“I got a fourth degree black belt in karate, a second degree black belt in jiu jitsu, and a first degree black belt in Filipino martial arts,” Kedrowski said.

With Kedrowski’s knowledge in martial arts, he is able to teach students what he knows. Such as footwork, and other things needed to do each move. 

Northland science teacher John Kedrowski (middle) reads a list of martial arts moves to students in the circle on Thursday, Oct. 19.

Kedrowski instructs the plan for that day. Each student is handed a piece of paper with a list of roughly 20 moves titled “Yawara Te”.  He then demonstrates the footwork and movements needed to complete that move to the six students standing in the circle. The students partner up to attempt the move themselves, with the help of Kedrowski. 

To wrap up the club, they reviewed what they learned and talked about what they were going to do the following Thursday. 

Northland science teacher John Kedrowski (right) assists new martial arts moves to freshman Halo Young (left) and sophomore Jeremy Haworth (center) on Thursday, Oct. 19.

If you are interested in being a part of this club, talk to Tate Haglund-Pagel to get it switched. If unable to, John Kedrowski also holds after school class for students in the Northland commons Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:30.