Pride at SHS

Rebecca Aleshire

Junior Xen Brown stands with their transgender pride flag.

By Rebecca Aleshire, Reporter

Being an LGBT+ student has its challenges. For example, having to deal with rude comments, jokes, and bullying, in person and online. It’s things like this that start to take a toll on LGBT+ students. For instance, junior Aleena Gorman has had some students give mean comments or jokes regarding their sexuality. Gorman said they struggled with finding themself and who they identified as.

“It was a whole battle,” Gorman said.

Gorman uses she/they pronouns, meaning that they are comfortable with both she/her and they/them pronouns.

Junior Xen Brown, who uses singular they/them pronouns, has received this kind of harassment online. For example, when they post a picture, they receive mean comments, some containing homophobic slurs. Brown said that they have felt more comfortable confiding in friends and family, rather than teachers and counselors at the school, because they felt staff wasn’t taking the action against bullies that they would have wanted.

Despite the hate they get, Brown is confident in themselves.

“I just went with my gut feeling,” Brown said.

Researchers from the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network surveyed nearly 2,500 teachers and students across the country and found that 83% of educators felt that they should provide a safe environment for their LGBT+ students by displaying visible symbols of support or disciplining students for using homophobic language. 

Despite this, teachers overall were less comfortable intervening with bullying due to sexual orientation and gender identity than with bullying based on race, ability, and religion. 

However, many teachers at the school make efforts to help LGBT+ students. Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) supervisor Emily Kelly is one of those teachers. The GSA learns the history of LGBT+ people, and applies advocacy to the school. Kelly said she tries to make her class and the GSA a safe space for all students. One of the ways she does this is by asking for and using correct names and pronouns for her students.

“I accept everybody for who they are.” Kelly said.

Overall, there are efforts from teachers and students in the school to help all identities be seen and respected. Although there is still a long way to go, neither the students nor the teachers will stop trying.