GSA stomps the hate and marches with pride

Brayleigh Keliin

Senior student,Tristin Longstreet, marching alongside his friends and GSA members on Oct. 6, prior to the homecoming football kick off.

By Brayleigh Keliin, Reporter

They noticed the dirty looks, but the cheers and support trumped the hate as GSA marched and waved their flags.

Despite the wet and bitter weather, students and faculty of Superior High School continued their annual Homecoming parade tradition as they marched, drove, and put themselves and their school spirit on display. This year, one of the 28 floats was the Gay- Straight Alliance club, who set themselves apart by showing pride in not only their school, but themselves.

One of these members included Tristin Longstreet.

“I was with people like me,” Longstreet said.

The sense of community encouraged Tristin to march with the GSA club instead of joining the choir float. He saw this as not only as a fun opportunity, but a better one. Despite not being a member of the GSA club, he felt accepted.

Prior to the parade, Tristin thought the GSA club was for school work. Afterwards, he left the parade considering joining the club.

“It definitely makes me feel better about myself and who I am,” Tristin said.

Marching made Tristin feel proud and believe that the GSA club is an improvement in the expansion of SHS community. He also thinks this club is  positively fostering and bringing a sense of community to Superior despite the small LGBTQ+ population.