Construction Causes Fire Scare

Photo By Ruth Moder

Staff members lead students back into the school following a fire alarm as building safety is confirmed on Thursday.

By Katherine Moore

Students and staff had an alarming start to lunch earlier yesterday when the fire alarms rang out just after the first bell for A lunch. Everyone inside the school was evacuated quickly, and Fire Marshall Scott Gordon arrived within minutes.

“I was able to use the radio from the high school to talk to the construction manager on the other side of the building,” Gordon said.

The construction manager reported that concrete dust had caused interference with the sensors of the smoke detector in the C hallway, but a precautionary check was done anyway.

Three fire trucks pulled up to the main entrance of the school shortly after Gordon and the department went into action mode. Two firefighters, including engine one chief John Lundberg, dressed fully in their gear walked into the school and didn’t emerge until students were back in the building.

Some students weren’t bothered by the alarm as much as the possibility of missing lunch.

“I was so mad, I just wanted to get food,” senior Amber Belwood said.

Despite being a false alarm, Lundberg and Gordon both agreed it was a good “unplanned test.”

The situation was resolved quickly, and students were back inside in less than twenty minutes.

“All of the students got back to class and more importantly,” Gordon said, “I believe we were done before lunch.”

Lunch was extended after the drill and 5th hour was shortened as a result.

“The most dangerous part was the students coming back for lunch,” Lundberg said with a smile.