Marcher Takes a Stand

Photo By Ruth Moder

Freshman Julia Roe stands with her brother, junior Noah Roe at March for Life in Washington D.C. on Jan 19.

By Josie Goad, Reporter

The streets between the Washington Monument and the Supreme Court were bursting with about 800,000 people on Jan. 19. In every direction freshman Julia Roe looked she saw people marching in protest. Roe left for Washington D.C. on Jan. 16 in order to attend the 45th March for Life. It is an annual event that started after the court case Roe v. Wade legalized abortion.

It was Roe’s first time attending March for Life. She went down with a church group that contained 13 other people from Superior. Part of the reason Roe went to the march was because she was raised as a Catholic, but she had other plans down there too.

“I wanted to speak for the people who can’t speak,” Roe said.

To get to Washington D.C. Roe had to sleep on a coach bus. She was a part of a bus filled with other people who planned to attend the march.

“The whole bus was full,” Roe said. “Forty-five people and we were bus number four out of four busses.”

While down in Washington D.C. Roe discovered something new that she would not have been able to learn in Superior.

“I didn’t realize how many people were actually in the movement and it was inspiring,” Roe said. “When we were marching you could look back and see how many people where there.”

Roe knew that Paul Ryan was suppose to speak at the march. What she found it surprising was that President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence spoke at the march as well.

“I was really shocked but proud to see them,” Roe said.

If Roe could change anything for next year’s march it would to get more people from Superior to attend. She plans on attending next year’s march for life.