Focusing on student input

Students+sit+in+the+library+conference+room+on+Dec.+4+during+A+lunch+to+discuss+a+new+superintendent.+

Photo By Mazie Turchi

Students sit in the library conference room on Dec. 4 during A lunch to discuss a new superintendent.

By Katherine Moore

After 27 years with the Superior School District, superintendent Janna Stevens is retiring. The Wisconsin Association of School Boards (WASB), the company that is assisting the school district in their search for a replacement, held a focus group on Monday for students to voice their opinions about the school and its leadership.

While 22 students were invited, only sophomores Collin Graves and Andrew Lisak, and juniors Hannah Hughes and Cal Berti attended the optional event. All students who attended were asked to voice their opinions about the Superior School District and the qualities of good leadership.

“What are some challenges you see in your school?” asked a consultant for WASB, Guy Leavitt.

This question sparked conversation around the room with answers ranging from fewer College in the Schools (CITS) classes than last year to the violence that students see in school.

“There’s so many fights and we just don’t know how to make them stop,” Hughes said.

Students were also asked about the strengths of their school.

“We have a really broad tech program with clubs like robotics and Project Lead the Way,” Lisak said.

Leavitt assured the group that their process for hiring a new superintendent would take into account the opinions and ideas of students in order to create a safe student based district.