Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dan Eaton: the daring director

Keith Turner
Band director Dan Eaton practices tuba in the band room on May 1, 2024. Eaton finds time to practice in the corner of the room.

Time is running short and the concert is very soon. Is the band ready? Do we need to run the music one more time? Is the smaller group ready? Have they practiced? Is the equipment ready? Who is going to be there? Who is not? As the concert takes place, everything turns out surprisingly well, everyone sounded confident and prepared. This is because of band teacher Dan Eaton.

Eaton has been a role model for many because of his flexibility with students, staff, and others. Teachers, especially in a profession like Eaton’s, face many challenges with scheduling, whether it be the students’ or the school’s.  Flexibility comes with many sacrifices.

Sophomore Milo Peterson (left) and band director Dan Eaton pose and laugh in front of drums in the band room on May 1, 2024. Eaton bonds with students through jokes and common interests like favorite music artists.

In his 34 years of education experience, Eaton has gained significant insight into being more flexible. 

“The more flexible I can be with students and let them have the life they want, the better it is, the happier they are,’ said Eaton. 

Students go into classes everyday with a mix of emotions: happy, sad, and nervous for the test next hour, or thinking about what they’re doing after school. Eaton has shown that students are welcome in his room and that he is willing to work with people to make their experience better as long as they’re willing to work with him.

Sophomore Milo Peterson (left) and band director Dan Eaton decipher a challenging rhythm in the band room on May 1, 2024. Eaton practices with students and it can end in a challenge for both of them.

Students see his flexibility in the constant change of pace in the band.

“Eaton gets how we all have lives outside of the band and he’s willing to work with us and our schedules,” senior Daniel Youngberg said.

With the many challenges that being a band director brings, Eaton takes each day with a positive mindset.