Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Polls

What is your favorite social media platform?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Winter Sports Season Recap

Senior+gaurd+TreSean+Sanigar+%282%29+dribbles+the+ball+down+court+at+home+on+Jan.+30+against+the+Duluth+East+Greyhounds.+Sanigar+is+the+Spartans+leading+scorer+with+18.8+points+per+game.+
Tanner Leno
Senior gaurd TreSean Sanigar (2) dribbles the ball down court at home on Jan. 30 against the Duluth East Greyhounds. Sanigar is the Spartans leading scorer with 18.8 points per game.

Girls Hockey 

Spartan girls hockey wrapped up their season with 20 wins, three losses, and one tie. The top three scorers on the girls team was senior forward Autumn Cooper with 33 goals and 34 assists, junior forward Makaela Reinke had 33 goals and 18 assists, and sophomore forward Addy Benson with 18 goals and 19 assists. Junior goalie Kaylie Nault had 451 saves this season with 1,223 minutes of playing time. Girls were placed in the top seed going into the playoffs. The season ended short in the sectional final game where they lost in overtime 4-3 against Central Wisconsin Storm. Cooper was awarded the Girls Wisconsin Hockey Coaches Association’s Ms. Hockey award. She is the first Superior High School student to receive this honor. 

Spartans in a huddle before playing the Duluth Northern Stars at the Superior Ice Arena on Jan. 23, 2024. (Carissa Vagt)

Boys Hockey

Spartan boys hockey put an end to their season with 8 wins, 12 loses, and 3 ties. Their top scorer was senior forward Lucas Williams with 11 goals and 10 assists. Senior goalie Trent Peterson finished his season with 1,082 minutes of playing time and 671 saves. The boys received the fifth seed going into playoffs and lost in the second round to Eau Claire Memorial, 1-4. Sophomore defender Jackson Marthaler played in the Winter Youth Olympics in Gangwon, South Korea. Marthaler and his olympic team brought home a gold medal for the United States. 

Junior forward Brayden Hurtig shoots the puck and scores his second goal in the second period against the Ashland Oredockers, Feb. 13. (Mike Fiegle)

Girls Basketball

The girls basketball team ended their season with their 21 wins and nine losses. Senior Eva Peterson was the leading scorer. Peterson and senior Kloe Zenkowski both hit 1,000 varsity points during the season. The team was placed as the sixth seed going into playoffs. Their season ended with a 64-49 score loss against the Appleton East Patriots.

Sophomore Ava Meierotto (1) sprints past Rice Lake defenders for a layup (Brendan Farrell)

Boys Basketball

The boys basketball team ended their season with 18 wins and seven losses. The top three scorers were senior Tre Sanigar with 473 points, sophomore Calvin Anderson with a total of 367 points, and senior Brandon Aker with a total of 249 points. Sanigar hit 1,000 varsity points during the season. The boys’ team was ranked at the third seed going into playoffs. This is the highest the team has been seeded since 2012. Their season ended in the second round against the Hortonville Polar Bears, 66-64. 

Sophomore Calvin Anderson (24) prepares to make a pass on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023 in Superior. (Mike Fiegle)

Wrestling

Spartan wrestling had a record breaking year. The team brought out 62 kids at the start of the season, breaking the record previously held at 55. The team finished 10-11 with a very inexperienced team. Only seven of the wrestlers on the roster had three plus years of experience. With the young team, they advanced junior Dominic Lyons and freshman Versii Kavajecz to the sectional tournament. Carissa Vagt advanced as the first ever Spartan female wrestler to be a sectional finalist.

Junior Dominic Lyons performs a cradle against his opponent on Dec. 1, 2023 at Cloquet. Lyons will be moving on to the sectional tournament on Feb. 17. (Garet Rivord)

Boys Swim and Dive  

This year, the boys swim and dive team won the Bronco Invite and placed third at the Lake Superior Conference Conference meet. Junior Paolo Pagnucci, senior Joe Duzell and freshman Aiden Pagnucci received all conference awards. Junior Nolan Bird and senior Connor Kittleson also received honorable mention.