Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Your story is our story

The Spartan Spin

Polls

What is your favorite social media platform?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Student Council says Fall Ball season is around the corner

Photo by Belle Modeen
Junior Natalie Soderlund smiles at her reflection with her fall ball dress at home on Sept. 19

Fall Ball will be taking place at UWS this year on Oct. 7. The dance is a week earlier this year, and will be from 6-8:30p.m. 

Tickets will be going on sale the week before the dance, Oct. 2, through Oct. 6. To attend the dance you must buy tickets in advance, and you can’t buy at the doors. This dance is for 9th through 12th graders in the school. 

Freshman science teacher and advisor of Student Council, Caitlin Zatroch, is now the head of Student Council this year. She explains that planning Fall Ball is mainly adult involved, with some student input including the playlist for the DJ. This date for the dance was booked back in May, while working around UWS schedule using their venue. 

“We hit a high record of attendance last year, and I’m expecting roughly the same amount with some of the new underclassmen that came up,” Zatroch said. 

The theme for the dance will be fall as every year because it’s in the beginning of the fall season. Fall Ball is run completely by Student Council, and staff members will be helping out at the dance.

This is a semi formal dance with food, photo booth, drinks, and the spinning platform for photos will be added this year.

Senior and president of Student Council, Autumn Cooper, has been participating in Student Council for four years. She explains that last year’s Fall Ball was a big turn out with the amount of tickets purchased, and she has a good feeling it will be roughly the same this year. 

“Fall Ball is different, it’s not like a homecoming dance, there’s no theme,” Cooper said. 

Popular dress stores that most students have recommended are Silver Rose located in Cloquet, JC Penny’s in the Miller Hill Mall, Lulus and Amazon which are both online. 

Athletic director Ella Olson explains that Fall Ball is a great way to connect with other classmates you only see in your classes. She hasn’t done much around the dance because of sporting events that take up most Saturdays. But she says that staff communicate with UWS and their schedule for the event that takes place off of campus. 

“It’s nice to have a dance off campus, but it’s always super hard to find a date where nobody has anything going on,” Olson said. 

The dance taking place earlier can affect a lot of events happening in the area such as Apple Fest, Cranberry Fest, weddings, and lots of sporting events at the school. 

Junior, Abby Seacotte, says that this is her third year going to Fall Ball. She also mentioned that she was surprised because it’s usually not during the times of other festivals in early fall. She also says that having Fall Ball last year on the second weekend in Oct. gave the majority of girls more time to buy dresses. But her favorite part about Fall Ball is being with her friends, the dance, and particularly the getting ready process to attend the dance.

“I didn’t think they would have it so early on such a popular weekend especially with Apple Cranberry Fest”, Seacotte said. 

Fall Ball being earlier means you definitely should start planning and don’t forget to have fun. It’s a way for newer classmates to go to an event most students will be attending.