Softball gets summer state sendoff

Josiah Payne

Emma Raye (right) passes a microphone to Ava Stratton as the Softball team introduces themselves during their state send-off on Wednesday, June 7.

By Jayme Ivy, Reporter

Spartan Softball went out on a warm Wednesday morning, June 7, to be congratulated before being sent off to state for the WIAA State Tournament in Madison.

The send-off comes after softball claimed victory against Stevens Point, 1-0, on Thursday, June 1

Before players boarded the bus, the team with a non-stop winning streak for the season was congratulated by dozens of students and given a performance by band. Their shirts each read “unfinished business,” a sentiment that Activities Director Ella Olson echoed as she congratulated the team.

“This group of girls has worked extremely hard, has not lost one game this season, they’ve been on the softball field until very late,” said Olson to the crowd of students.

“[We’re] looking forward to this year. I know we’re more focused, obviously we have a bit of that experience. As we travel down there, I think their focus is strictly on doing what they need to do. If we play to our potential, and with a little bit of luck, I think a lot of good things could happen for us this weekend,” said Softball Coach Mike Sather.

The Spartans will be playing against Menomonee Falls on Thursday, June 8, at 8 AM. To watch the game, go to NFHSNetwork.com.