Influential Person Nominee

Kendra Schmidt: Information Technology Specialist

Jade Rasmussen

Kendra Schmidt works at her new desk, May 26th, 2023.

By Elizabeth Weber, Reporter

Your laptop breaks down in class and you are sent down to IT. As you reach the window a new face is there to greet you, Kendra Schmidt. Schmidt is an Information Technology Specialist that was hired at the end of January, 2023. She attended Rainy River Community College from 2016-2018 from Postsecondary Enrollment Options in high school for her associates degree then went to UW-Superior with a double major in Music Performance in Flute and Legal Studies where she graduated from in 2022.

Originally Schmidt wanted to work in the realm of politics or music, either becoming a congresswoman or playing in a professional orchestra. While still in school she needed a job flexible enough for her schedule. Many of the music majors worked at the IT Helpdesk at UW-Superior, deciding to give it a try she realized she really enjoyed working with technology and finding solutions to problems.

After graduating from UW-Superior, Schmidt worked full-time in the County Clerks office as a Technical Clerk. Schmidt was responsible for working with website and social media postings as well as election technology and other duties around the office.

“After a while, I was finding myself missing the area of IT, and found that there was an open position here so I applied and was offered the position,” Scmidt said.

Schmidt shadowed Darren Koval until she was ready to take over on her own.

“During my initial training here, I did spend a few days working at the middle and elementary schools in the district and I found that the high school is where I feel the most comfortable, so I am very lucky to be here,” Schmidt said.

Schmidt is here to provide the best support possible for students and staff. Understanding how stressful and aggravating working with technology can be, she hopes to make it easier to understand.