Girls track places third in Packy meet

Freshman Josephine Hanson running the 4×800 relay on Apr. 6.

By Carissa Vagt, Reporter

On Apr. 6, 2023 the girls track team participated in the annual Packy Paquette meet at the University of Wisconsin-Superior. The meet was hosted by Superior, in honor of Francis J. (Packy) Paquette. Paquette was one of the greatest athletes to go to Superior, unfortunately dying at 19 years old in a car accident. Since then, Superior High School has been hosting their annual meet in Packy’s honor. 

The girls 4×800 meter relay came in second place, with a team consisting of freshman Josephine Hanson, freshman Veronica Acurero, junior Kylie Peterson, and freshman Elena Almonte.

Sophomore Tayler McMeekin came in first for the mile, running a five minute and 34.95 second mile. 

In the girls 4×200 meter relay, Superior came in second, coming in behind Chippewa Falls. The team consisted of senior Kaylee Esiel, senior Kenzi Branley, senior Lillian Gamache, and sophomore Emma Ferg. 

Superior placed third in the girls 4×400 meter relay. Their team was made up of freshman Josephine Hanson, senior Savannah Leopold, junior Kylie Peterson, and freshman Elena Almonte. 

The girls came in third place, with a total of 86 points. If you were unable to watch this meet or any other home meets you can watch it on iFan.TV