Girls track takes second place

Senior Savannah Leopold jumping over the hurdle during the 200 hurdles relay on Mar. 31.

By Carissa Vagt, Reporter

The girls track team participated in the annual Simpson invite, hosted by Northwestern on Mar. 31, 2023. The Girls took second overall with a score of 110, only losing to Hayward by 16.5 points. 

Senior Lillan Gamache came in first place in the 55 meter dash. Following soon after, senior Mckenzi Branley came in third in the 55 meter dash.

Sophomore Tayler Mckmekin came in first in the mile. Also managing to break the mile record that was previously set back in 2005. In the same event, freshman Elena Almonte took fourth and junior Kylie Peterson took fifth.

Senior Savannah Leopold took first in the 200 hurdles relay and Maggie Stenberg came in sixth for that same race. 

The girls 4×8 came in first, with a team consisting of freshman Josiephne Hansen, freshman Veronica Acurero, junior Kylie Peterson and freshman Elena Almonte.  

Junior Kloe Zentkowski tied with four other people for fifth place in the high jump, Zentkowski got a height of 4-3.

Branley took first place in the long jump, and Leopold took third, both jumping over 16 feet. 

You can catch the girls track team in action again on Apr. 6 where they will host the Packy at the University of Wisconsin Superior. Or you can tune in to watch it here on iFanTV.

Junior Kloe Zentkoski high jumping on Mar. 31.