New BFS coach makes changes to the program

Jasen Bruzek

Coach Ryan Hendry helping Freshman Savannah Starling with her technique.

By Cassidy Remington-Willis, Reporter

New Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Ryan Hendry is now in charge of the Bigger Faster Stronger program. 

Hendry is the Head Baseball Coach of two years, he has been a part of the baseball staff since 2006. He joined the BFS program this year, the idea was first brought up by Football Coach Bob DeMeyer while he was helping with the Strength and Conditioning class over the summer. 

“For workouts for athletes that are in season, I try to keep it as uniform as possible with the BFS core lifts as the in season workouts aren’t as rigorous as off season.  Off season I get a little more creative with different exercises and movements in addition to core lifts. We try and keep the uniform core lifts throughout all the athletic programs as it is easy to measure progress as well as the simplicity for multiple sport athletes to pick up the program as they change sports. If a coach has a request for certain exercises and movements, I certainly cater to what they are looking for,” Hendry said. 

Sophomore Taylor Schultz plays hockey during the winter and does track during the spring. Schultz said he likes the workouts because it actually feels like a challenge to him and he often feels more sore afterwards.

“More difficult workouts lead to better results,” Shcultz said. 

Junior Braylon Lemieux said BFS is a good program. It changed the way he played football and helped him become Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Lemieux stated that BFS helps student athletes a lot. Lemieux thinks Hendry knows a lot about what he’s doing in the weight room.

“He’s a good coach,” said Lemieux. 

Sophomore Kaitlyn Forester plays volleyball during the fall. She says they have early workouts but she still enjoys them.

“The coach is nice,” Forester said.

Junior Kanayoliseh Onwudiegwu said BFS was really good and he had a good experience. The exercises were simple but they were effective at helping them get stronger. Onwudiegwu wishes they had more challenging workouts, he explained that the workouts were very repetitive and thinks they should be changed up more frequently. However, Onwudiegwu said BFS still helped him perform the way he does in basketball and it benefits him. He said the coach was great and tried getting them to push themselves. 

Hendry’s goals in the weight room are to get every sports team in there at least twice a week to strength train. By helping in the weight room, he’s making it easier for the other BFS staff members who might not be able to stay after school and do BFS.

Hendry works with Bob Demeyer and Ella Olson. He has gotten lots of positive feedback on the changes.