Dig Pink returns to raise dollars for cancer

Jordan Hoffmann

Sophomore Savannah Hering serves the ball at the high school gym on Oct. 5. The team raised over $6,500 at this year’s event.

By Claire Farnham, Reporter

Over $6,500 was raised by the volleyball team on Oct. 5 at their annual Dig Pink game.

“It was our best year yet,” coach Brenda Pluntz said.

The girls volleyball team held Dig Pink, an annual event to fund breast cancer research, for the first time since 2019. The team and the spectators were excited for the event’s return as evidenced by the sea of pink clothes and accessories in the stands. 

“It feels nice to help out people who have been and are going through breast cancer,” sophomore Carlie Lohman said.

The team lost the game against the Duluth East Greyhounds, 2-1.

“What is more important than winning is the money we raised for the Side-Out Foundation,” captain Lexie Lohman said. 

The game ran like a typical one, with the exception of the players’ bright pink jerseys, symbolising breast cancer awareness. The jerseys were auctioned off to raise money throughout the night. The team also held a bake sale, a raffle, and had a donation box, all run by parents of the players. 

Team captains Olivia Linden and Lexie Lohman took on this event as their senior project and helped to organize sponsorships and fundraising for the event. They contacted local businesses from all over the Twin Ports to get sponsorships.

For much of the team, this is a personal cause, as Pluntz was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2017. The game gave players and those in attendance a chance to honor their loved ones who have fought breast cancer. Pluntz was honored by sophomore Maleah Waters.

The money was raised for Side-Out Foundation, the organization that started Dig Pink, conducts and funds research for metastatic breast cancer. Since their start in 2006, there have been over 1000 Dig Pink events in high schools across the country.

“We work for a future where breast cancer isn’t terminal,” the organization’s website, Side-Out.org, reads.

Doing all of this work to help the community banded the players towards a common goal to do something special for Breast Cancer Awareness month. In preparation, the girls had team dinners, where they made bright pink posters and decorations, got bright pink volleyballs to throw to the crowd, and decorated pumpkins, all to match the theme.

According to Pluntz, Dig Pink is always the biggest night for attendance. Seeing the crowd grow in solidarity with those in need warmed her and the team’s hearts.

“We were so thankful,” Heintz said. “This year was one of the best we have had and there is much hope to keep this program going strong.”