Pandemic Parade

KBJR will host Christmas City of the North Parade 6:30 tonight

Traxx Nelson-Kavajecz

Students from Sterling Silver Studio posing with the KBJR crew after they record their performance for the parade on Monday, Nov. 16.

By Traxx Nelson-Kavajecz, Reporter

The Christmas City of the North Parade has been spreading smiles and early Christmas spirit for nearly 62 years. 

A parade that started in 1958 as a way to get people in the mood for early Christmas shopping, has evolved into a much anticipated annual Christmas tradition in the northland. 

Since 2020 has brought forth many challenges hosting live events, KBJR has decided to host the Christmas City of the North Parade virtually this year.

“We obviously can’t have as many people in the same area this year, but we didn’t want to take away the opportunity for bands and dance groups to show what they’ve been working on all year.” said Ben Read, a producer at KBJR who has been involved in the parade for a decade.http://mirziamov.ru

There are 13 different units participating in the virtual parade this year.

Dance groups and marching bands pre-recorded their parade performances with the help of the KBJR crew. They will be featured in the virtual parade on friday night.

Vehicles and other floats will be driven by the television cameras so that people at home can watch them on TV, no spectators will be allowed along the parade route to ensure everyone’s  safety.

“It was the tradition of doing the parade that kept us pushing through this challenging year,” Read said.

Zoe Scnhell, a multi talented baton twirler at Sterling Silver Studio, also a senior at Superior High School said “The part I am going to miss most about participating in the Christmas City of the North Parade this year is the thrill of getting off of the bus and practicing with my team while waiting for the parade to start.” 

The Christmas City of the North Parade will air live on KBJR at 6:30 P.M. on Friday, Nov. 20.