Three wheeling

Tristan Callaghan

Freshman Treyvon Lampi rides down the lockerbay hallway on Feb. 11, with Teddi Steward (left) and Lisa Moen (right).

By Tristan Callaghan, Reporter

Riding a bike is an enjoyable activity for any person of any age. Here at SHS the autism program has also started using adult-sized tricycles therapeutically with its students.

According to James Starzynski, a mostly retired SHS autism spectrum disorders teacher, “therapy” derives from the Greek word for healing…”therapeia”.

In conjunction with the Greek prefix for self…”aut-“, these trikes on the SHS campus have the possibility for the students’ “self healing”, a highly desired goal. 

The 275 lb. maximum weight capacity three wheelers serve several specific purposes: first, for the neurologically challenged, often impulsive girls and boys, they provide a soothing, rhythmical experience. Second, since most ASD students are relatively “self concerned” and “self protecting”, the trikes move them into the larger school community under the guidance of an accompanying adult, where they engage their peers and the school staff in a way which fosters broad communication skills. Third, the sturdy bikes boast a large mesh basket behind the driver for photocopies, paper towels, and all types of goods to be delivered around the building, helping the students to foster a vocational outlook. 

Katie Pristash, one of the current ASD program managers, summarized the benefits when she recently said, ” Our kids with sensory issues need this equipment. And it’s not just fun, it’s progress.”

As a historical note, when the new SHS building was built, the three tricycles from the old building did not make it to the new one. Two of them had rusted out in the swim pool’s chemical room and the third was beyond repair.

The ASD program teachers mounted a fund-raising effort to purchase the $700 units and a beginning was made when the first trike was obtained with the help of these benefactors: Mr. Warren High, Ray Kosey, the Arnovich Foundation, Lange-Laughlin Chiropractic, and the Superior Evening Lions Club. Continental Ski and Bike in Duluth was also pivotal in the purchase and bike assembly. Thanks to all of them!

Additional three wheelers are intended for the future. If you would like to contribute to this effort, please contact Katie Pristash.

Jim Starzynski contributed to this story.