Meals on wheels

Superior district buses deliver meals to students around town while schools are shuttered

+Superior+School+District+bus+driver+Heidi+Lambert+delivers+a+lunch+to+Jette+Leopold%2C+5th+grader+at+Great+Lakes%2C+on+her+route+Monday+morning%2C+April+6.

Christa Kalin

Superior School District bus driver Heidi Lambert delivers a lunch to Jette Leopold, 5th grader at Great Lakes, on her route Monday morning, April 6.

By Kaydence Young, Reporter

All around Superior, bus drivers and the school food service gather to serve nutritious breakfast and lunch sacks to kids under the age of 18. Children that eat with the program do not have to fill out any paperwork, or even be part of the district, and can receive a food bag everyday, Monday through Friday

Free lunches are also delivered around Superior in the summer, but this current program serving children who are sheltered at home started Mar. 24 due to the COVID-19 precautions as ordered by Wisconsin State governor Tony Evers.

“The food service makes 800 breakfasts, and 800 lunches a day,” said Great Lakes head Cook Sara Halford. 

These meals often include microwaveable bosco sticks, pancakes with syrup, uncrustables, a white and a chocolate milk, fruits and veggies, a muffin, cheese, cereal and more.

One of their most popular stops is Aspen and Linden courts, about 80 food pouches are designated to this stop everyday according to Halford. The lunch bags are usually gone within 10 minutes, showing just how much people utilize them around that area.

“My favorite thing about delivering the lunches is seeing the kids and how happy it makes them,” Special Education Bus driver Colleen Hickok said.

For some kids around the community, school was their only source of nutritious meals, Halford exclaimed. 

“Of the 30 million students being served, 20 million children receive free lunches because their families have a household income that is below 130% of the established Federal poverty level.”, according to Vittana.org’s personal finance blog

Third grader Zakkary Young is a regular at his busses stop, and enjoys the lunches.

“I like the chocolate milk and peanut butter and jelly. The lunch ladies are nice,” Young said. 

The Superior School District has released a schedule on facebook here for those that would like to get breakfast and lunch bags.