Boys Hockey playoff run ends

Garrett LaBare

Junior Ethan Welch skates to shoot a goal on Medford Raiders at Wessman Arena Feb. 20 where the Spartans won 8-0 in the first playoff game. The Spartans ended their season this past Tuesday in the second playoff game losing to Hayward 4-3.

By Garrett LaBare, Reporter

The boys’ hockey season ended Feb. 25 with a 4-3 loss against Hayward in the second round of the WIAA playoffs Feb. 25. Superior struck first with a goal in the first period by sophomore George Hansen.  Senior Alex Hanson netted another one four minutes later. 

In response, Haywards’ Cade Delisle answered with two goals of his own to tie the game at 2-2. Blake Loder put another puck in the net before the end of the first to put Hayward ahead 3-2. 

Superior fought back and tied the game up with a goal by junior Drew Scharte in the second.  But Hayward regained their lead with a goal from Logan Abric, which then ended the scoring in the second at 4-3.

The third was tightly contested, with Superior knowing that they must score to extend their season, and they had multiple chances to convert on a goal. Senior Kobe Hansen took a shot with 8 minutes left that went between the goalie’s legs and hit the right post, ricocheting out. 

As the end of the period crept closer, Hayward’s penalty kills unit came up clutch, protecting the lead that they had created earlier in the game. Superior worked against the penalty kill unit of Hayward to try and score, with two man-up situations coming at 6 and 4 minutes, but Hayward withstood Superior’s attack.

“This year we had a young team, we struggled a lot because we had great competition. Overall the season didn’t end up being the way we expected, but I believe we had the young kids grow, and we will come back stronger next year,” head coach Jason Kalin said.

Superior’s final record was 9-16-1 with a 2-3 record in conference, finishing 4th overall. Senior Gunnar Hansen, Senior TJ Sitek and Junior Drew Scharte led the team in points. Hansen ended with 30 points, 19 goals, and 11 assists. Sitek ended with 23 points, 10 goals, and 13 assists. Scharte ended with 18 points, 7 goals, and 8 assists.