Dirt Bike Racing heats up Ice

Dale Summerfield Jr.

During the Lake Superior Ice Festival, M.I.R.A hosted it’s annual King of the Quads Event that saw 18 Four wheel riders compete to determine who the fastest four wheeler Jan. 25 on Lake Superior at Barkers Island. The winner recieved $2500 and a crown that they wore during the awards banquet that they get to defend the follwing year.

By Dale Summerfield Jr., Reporter

The annual Lake Superior Ice Festival at Barker’s Island returned Jan. 25 with a whole batch of activities. The half-pipe snow slide, ice carving sculpture and M.I.R.A (Midwestern Ice Racing Association) races were highlights. With temperatures in the low to mid 30s, the weather made it a perfect event for families to be outdoors. The festival started with dirt bike racing and ended with Kickstart, a band sponsored by MIRA.

There were four ice sculptures on display over the weekend, including a snowmobile, a  heart and a carving of Lake Superior. The dirt bike ice races drew the biggest crowds of the weekend with over 200 spectators and entries. 

Younger children joined in the fun, too, sliding and racing on a snow hill piled high just for them while families and friends gathered around fire pits to roast marshmallows.

Sophomore Jameson Norkunas placed first in both heats of the Open C class as he beat out 23  other riders. He won his first career main event in Open C class as he held off Canadian Mike Klippenstien. Norkunas was excited about his win at the awards banquet afterwards as he smiled and celebrated with his family.

“This would be my first first-place podium,” Norkunas said.

The next event for M.I.R.A is Feb. 8 at Eddy’s Resort in Mille Lacs, Minnesota, from 11 a.m. till 4 p.m.