Spartans cut down by Lumberjacks

+Goalie+junior+Katrina+Casper+%281%29+blocks+the+puck+from+entering+Superiors+goal%2C+as+sophomore+Emily+Berka+%2814%29+and+Ashtyn+Schneberger%2828%29+battle+to+score+on+Jan.+7+at+the+Superior+Ice+Arena.+The+Spartans+lost+to+Cloquet-Esko-Carlton+7-0.+

Cole Glaus

Goalie junior Katrina Casper (1) blocks the puck from entering Superiors goal, as sophomore Emily Berka (14) and Ashtyn Schneberger(28) battle to score on Jan. 7 at the Superior Ice Arena. The Spartans lost to Cloquet-Esko-Carlton 7-0.

By Cole Glaus, Reporter

The girls hockey team lost to Cloquet-Esko-Carlton 7-0 at the Superior Ice Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 7. The Lumberjacks held a 3-0 lead at the end of the first period. They added three goals to their lead in the second period. 

The only penalty the spartans had was on #11 Arika Trentor for interference which assisted the lumberjacks in getting a goal. The entire third period was running time while the Lumberjacks scored another goal finishing the game with a 7-0 victory. 

Goalie Katrina Casper finished the game with 21 saves.

“We played with confidence all three periods and stuck in the game,” forward sophomore Emily Berka  said 

The girls hockey team record is currently 4-12. They play again tonight Jan.14. against Moose Lake/Willow River in Moose Lake. Moose Lake’s record is currently 7-11 on the year.