Spartan girls fight to tie in season opener

Julia Roe

Senior Chloe Kintop (2) fights for the ball against Hayward at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex April 2, as sophomore Hannah Drake (left) and senior Megan Jaszczak (11) run beside her. The game ended in a 2-2 draw.

By Julia Roe, Reporter

The girls’ soccer team tied the Hayward Hurricanes 2-2, playing their first game Tuesday night at the NBC Spartan Sports Complex.

In the first half, Hayward took momentum early with two goals while Superior was unable to score.

Neither team was able to score early in the second half, but the Spartans struck late. Freshman Lily Walrath scored her first varsity goal in the 78th minute to bring the game the game within one. Not long after, determined to score another, senior Erin Walpole netted the equalizer in the 79th minute.

Superior head coach Len Albrecht thought that the girls were nervous in the first half, but they played their best in the last 15 minutes of the game.

“We calmed down a little bit more and collected our thoughts,” Walpole said. “We also changed up our formation which added more players to the offense.”

Superior was determined to keep the tie by playing tough defense, and did just that. Sophomore goalie Jillian Reuille saved seven attempts. The final score was 2-2.

Albrecht thinks that the upperclassmen of the team are good leaders for the younger players, helping them to be in the right position on the field and teaching them while they are playing.

“Strengths are going to be the experience of the veterans of the team we have,” Albrecht said. “And our defense, even the young players back there played a lot last year so they have a lot of experience.”

Superior starts the season 0-0-1, and will host Washburn on Friday at 5 p.m.