The Spartan Spin

Spartans shot down by Hawks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spartans shot down by Hawks

Junior T.J. Sitek (28) and senior Trevor Dalbec (21) grapple for the puck with Hermantown players late in the third at Wessman Arena last night. The final score was 6-0 in favor of the Hawks.

Garrett LaBare

Garrett LaBare

Garrett LaBare

By Garrett LaBare, Reporter

Superior took on Minnesota class AA number 1 seeded Hermantown in boys’ hockey last night at Wessman Arena. An early lead from Hermantown in the first period set the mood for last night, resulting in a devastating 6-0 defeat.

It all started with an early goal at 3:41 in the first by Hawks Justin Thomas with an assist by Sam High. That goal led to an unfortunate lead for Hawks that the Spartans they could not overcome.

“I am feeling pretty cruddy about the 6-0 loss, losing by that much really sucks a lot,” senior Ian Johnson said. “We were bad on everything tonight: our fundamentals, we didn’t work as a team, there really was nothing good.”

At one point in the second period, Hermantown pulled their goalie to put another man out and they scored another goal, this one on a powerplay. This goal changed the moods of the Spartans from bad to worse.

Many penalties were called on both sides for roughing throughout the game, including one that had multiple players involved.

Superior fell to 15-5 (3-2 Lake Superior Conference), and play Northland Pines at Wessman next on Feb. 7.