Spartan stress turns to tie

Garrett LaBare

Freshman Lily Walrath (10) passes the puck to sophomore Arika Trentor (11) late in the second period of Tuesday’s game against Moose Lake at the Superior Ice Arena. The Spartans and Rebels tied 4-4.

By Garrett LaBare, Reporter

Superior took on Moose Lake in girls’ hockey Tuesday night at the Superior Ice Arena. The Spartans fell behind in the first period but came back with a vengeance in the second.

A 12:35 goal in the second period by senior Rose Ion, assisted from senior Paige Lach, kicked off the Spartans scoring streak. This brought the Spartans a boost of excitement, which resulted in a goal just over a minute later by sophomore Arika Trentor and assisted by sophomore Lucy Drougas.

With 42 seconds to go in the second period, Superior scored once again bringing the game to a 3-3 tie. Drougas chipped in the score off an assist from sophomore Brooklyn Burger.

A 12:32 goal from Moose Lake freshman Raechel Painovich, assisted by junior Michaela Belanger and senior Abby Painovich, put the Rebels ahead 4-3.

With 49 seconds left in regulation, Ion scored once more with an assist from Burger, tying the game, and regulation ended in a 4-4 deadlock.

There were multiple shots on goal in OT, but no one was able to punch in a score, ending the game in a 4-4 tie.

“I am mad that we did not win, but I am glad we did not lose. One thing we need to work on would be our passing,” senior Paige Lach said. “One thing I am happy for is that I got assists. There is nothing more important than those, not even scoring is more important.”

Superior moved to 2-14-2 (0-4 Lake Superior Conference), and they next play at Eau Claire Jan. 19.