Students upholding pressing issues

Dayton Podvin

Senior Shanna Smith points at country Guatemala on a world map, displaying what country she is the representative for the Harvard Model United Nations Conference this January.

By Dayton Podvin, Reporter

At this very moment there are 7,000 immigrants walking to the U.S. southern border. This caravan is still increasing with people from around central America. Such as the country of Guatemala. This is a pressing issue. These people are looking to come into America unauthorized.

Superior High School is representing the country of Guatemala at Harvard Model United Nations Convention in Boston Thursday January 24th through the 27th .

“I’m Excited to represent Guatemala and learn about Latin American culture as well as current political and economic standings.” said senior Shanna Smith. Smith has attended the conference once before. She has high hopes for this upcoming year.   

“Harvard Model United Nations is an academic club at Superior High School where students take on the roll of a country in the United Nations. They represent the country in committees that take on some of the biggest problems that the world faces. In the committees, we draft solutions that will resolve these problems,” Smith said.

This convention is where 3,300 high school delegates will be gathering from all across the globe.

The Harvard Model United Nations club in the high school, has had 3 meetings, as of so far. All in preparation for this years Conference.

Smith’s last year committee was called Summit of Futuristic Technology. They worked on laws,  creating, maintaining, and distributing future technology such as artificial intelligence, drones, medical advances and bio chemical warfare for the countries in the United Nations.

Smith was selected to have the country Cuba last year. She got busy researching her country in the fall of 2018 in preparation for the conference. Because she had to

“Take on the ideals of the country” said Smith.

She learned many traits and tools for her future within the four days.But she would never forget about how on the last day of committee meetings. They got to have a 20 minute skype call, with the one and only Neil deGrasse Tyson. The world renowned astrophysicist also the commentator of the tv show Casmos: A spacetime Odyssey.

“His daughter was one of four moderators at the committee…  word got around in the committee that she was his daughter, somehow.” said Smith.

Nice to know that if you ever go to the Harvard Model United Nations Conference you may find yourself with people who will or already have changed the world.

The students on the SHS Harvard Model United Nations team include:senior Samin Abdullah, senior Rebecca Benvie, freshman  Kendall Callery, shopmore Alexa Dembroski, senior Rae Dunbar, senior Amelia Evavold, Junior Ben Hintzman, senior Jaxon Hoffmann, senior Adam LaVine, senior Brahden Long, senior Keely Nelson, freshman Natalie Sandor, senior Shanna Smith, senior Ella Thompson, and senior Sierra Wilson.