New students, new school, new laptops

Pheonyx Wittkopf

The oldest model (left) compared to the newest model (right).

By Pheonyx Wittkopf, Reporter

A big topic amongst laptop watchers this year are the new laptops for the freshmen. Every two years, the school updates the laptops and upgrade to the better device. This year’s device has a new look as well as other new abilities.

As many people have likely noticed, the chargers for the older laptops are not the same size for the new ones. This means that the freshman now have to remember to carry their charger everywhere or charge them every night. Although this seems like a problem, it can be helpful as well.

Freshman Jonah Kroeplin thinks about how helpful the designs are now that his charger is different than his other siblings’. They can’t steal them from each other  like they usually did before he was in high school.

It’s also helpful in situations like forgetting a charger somewhere. Because they only have the newer chargers, it lowers the amount that person has to look though.

Chargers are one of the most noticable difference between the new and old laptops, but there more positives than just that. Other new qualities are: smaller batteries that give the laptop a lighter feel, a better battery life despite the smaller size, and a sturdier cover. These were all redeeming qualities when the school was picking out their new models, but it also helped that they were cheaper.

Despite them being cheap, Kroeplin still gave the new laptops a rating of five stars compared to the old middleschool ones he used, which he rated three stars.

“The old computers were slower and the pages wouldn’t load as fast,” he says. Because their computers work at a higher speed, he and other Freshman can complete work faster than they could before.

The new laptops may seem very different, but they were meant to be like every other laptops’ design so that Freshman could follow through with any class and not get confused/be left out the lessons because of differences in their technology.

They may not know what these computers are, but upperclassman and others can know that these new laptops will help further the education of this school.