Spartans taken down by Hilltoppers

Photo By Brooklynn Jones

Senior Sophie Kintop dribbles the ball towards the net against Marshall. Spartans lost 30-44 on Monday.

By Gunnar Gronski, Reporter

MONDAY- The Superior Girls Basketball team (8-8) faced off against the Marshall Hilltoppers (15-2) at the Superior High School gymnasium, losing 30-44.

At the start, the Spartans struggled to score, but managed to keep the Hilltoppers from scoring until three minutes and 57 seconds into the game. The Spartans main issue on the court was turnovers, with many passes being stolen by Marshall or lost out of bounds. The first half ended with a score of 23-14 Marshall.

The turnover problem persisted through the second half.

Junior Chloe Kintop stated that the turnovers, among other mistakes, “led to frustration, and a slow start”  for the team.

A glimmer of hope for the Spartans arose when the Spartans brought the game within seven points early in the second half. The offensive spark was led by Junior Maddy Meyer scoring a three-point shot to close the large gap.

Unfortunately seven points would be the lowest deficit between the two teams, with the Hilltoppers taking firm control through the rest of the game. The Hilltoppers #2 Grace Kirk drained back to back 3 pointers that signaled the beginning of the end for the Spartans.

Senior Lexi Jensen led the Spartans in scoring with 10 points, followed by Junior Lauren Raboin with eight points. The Spartans look for a win at home against Eau Claire North this Friday, January 26th.