Freshmen dodge for tots

Photo By Daylyn DeRosia

Teams 9-2 and 9-3 face off for the first game of Toys for Tots dodgeball game on Tuesday.

By Daylyn DeRosia, Reporter

Freshman, Shae Callaghan, walked onto the court and stole a glance at the opposing team. Competition was evident in their eyes. Her hand touched the cold, back wall of the gym as they waited for the sharp, shrill whistle. When it rang she watched as kids scrambled for the balls. Before she had time to react she was suddenly struck with a ball from the opposing team.

This is what Callaghan volunteered for. Her science teacher, Lee Sims, told her about the event the week before.

Freshman teams 1 through 4 competed in their annual Toys For Tots dodgeball game on Tues., Dec. 19, and Thurs., Dec. 21 in the SHS gymnasium. The ninth grade raised money for the foundation run by the States Marine Corps Reserve who distribute toys to children whose parents can’t afford presents.

“I feel like a very athletic person so I felt like I could do good on the team,” Callaghan said.

One thing that Callaghan was critical on was the lack of teamwork within her team, she thought that it was more of an “every man for themselves.”

Sims has been leading this event for 3 years. Just like the middle school has wings, freshmen have teams. The teachers want to establish team identity for students, according to Sims. This event allows a place for them to belong when transitioning into the high school.

Jonny Rhodes, a team member of 9-2, was not expecting to be drawn, but after donating money he was happy that his name was picked. On Tuesday, 9-2 won and Rhodes said he felt great and that his team did a really good job.

After the last day of the dodgeball games, 9-2 played against 9-1. Victory went to team 9-1. After a two year winning streak, team 9-2 admitted defeat. David Fultz from team 9-1, said that he was impressed with the teamwork and how well everyone worked together. He was happy to get the wrench for his team.