NHS helps community

Submitted Photo

Students Caleigh Jensen and Ryan Hughes receive their National Honor Society members certificates

By Izzy Swanson, Reporter

Recently at Superior High School Mica Leider has stepped up to be an adviser for NHS due to her new position as a counselor. National Honor Society or NHS is an academic club for which juniors and seniors are selected based off their Grade Point Average (GPA), the Advanced Placement classes they are in, the work they do outside of school for the community and the clubs they participate in at school.

“NHS is actually a stress reliever because it’s a fun atmosphere to just chill with the students,” Leider said. “Also it’s something new to me and I enjoy trying new things.”

Leider and her four council teachers Dawn Polkinghorn, Lori Dawns, David Kontny and Jessica Cronin all look over the students’ applications to narrow the list down to the students they think will work the best for the name of National Honor Society but Principal Greg Posewitz makes the final decision.

Senior Abby Johnson joined NHS mainly because it looks good for college applications, but from being in it she has discovered that it’s a great organization. This year as president, her goal is to broaden the impact which the NHS has upon the school and our community.

“I have gotten the chance to be involved in fun and valuable service projects within our school and community such as trick-or-treating for canned goods on Halloween,” Johnson said.

The students have to follow the four pillars of leadership, service, scholarship, and character. This club asks each of its members to put in about 10 hours each semester to give back to their community.

“With the students involved in this group this is not a difficult number of hours to reach at all,” Johnson said.