Family Fun

Photo By Ruth Moder

Sophomore Hanna Gothner gets called down for The Price is Right for a chance to win a portable charger at the Pledgemaker’s Gameshow Extravaganza on Friday.

By Andrew Lisak, Reporter

The Garbonzoo family walked away from the Pledgemaker’s Gameshow Extravaganza $300 richer last Friday night. Seniors Megan Hansen, Sophia Kintop, Lexi Jensen, Max Plunkett, Hannah Saari and Ty Russ took $50 apiece. The Pledgemaker board spent about $1,300 on the event – including prizes such as a Bose speaker and a platinum edition Family Feud board game.

Megan Hansen said that she did not expect her team to win.

There were about 150 students and about 5 teachers that attended and participated in the event compared to the over 300 students that attend Blacklight Volleyball, another event the Pledgemaker board puts on.

Students who have pledged not to drink or do drugs were allowed free entrance to play Family Feud, the Price is Right and Kahoot while attending a Pledgemakers event on Friday.

The event began with a Kahoot quiz pertaining to the dangers of underage drinking.

Senior and Pledgemakers’ vice-president Gunnar Gronski said that the board came up with this event to “incorporate substance-free living into a fun event for all.”

“We originally took the idea of PledgeMakers from Kimberly, Wisconsin.” Pledgemaker advisor Phillip Roe said.

The main event was the Family Feud tournament hosted by World History teacher Chad Postal and featuring faux family teams such as the Applesmashers family and the Adaams Family.

The Howes Family made up of Gemma Lehto, Hanna Gothner, Josie DeGraef, Madison Schulz, and Olivia Olson received $150 for 2nd place.

In between rounds of Family Feud, Pledgemakers staff drew tickets to decide who the two contestants would be for The Price is Right.

One of the rounds of The Price is Right the prize up for grabs was a platinum edition of the Family Feud board game. Senior Annika Bergstrom was called up when her ticket was called as well as her opponent freshman Garrett LaBare. Both grab their paper that they had to write their guess on and looked for the audience’s’ opinions on the price whether it was higher and lower. Bergstrom’s original guess was $20 but with the help of the audience lowered it to $17 a perfect guess of the price of the board game winning it.

This event had some memorable questions like “Who in school has the best laugh?” according to sophomore Olivia Olson. “Songs you would not want at a school dance” was the worst question according to Gronski.

Gronski said that from the positive feedback, Pledgemakers is likely to host this event again next year. Pledgemakers receive a $10,000 grant every year to pay for the school’s drug testing.

The pledgemaker board does not have a set day for there next event but plans to continue having the hypnotist show and a talent show.