Sophomore Strikes It Up

Carlson+stands+with+his+team+at+a+tournament.+

Submitted Photo

Carlson stands with his team at a tournament.

By Nyccole Gibson, Reporter

Sophomore Gordon Carlson has been bowling for Superior for the last three years. In 2014, Carlson’s average score was 80 per game. Now it is 150. This improvement is because of the training and preparing through the year.

“It’s in the blood,” said Carlson.

Carlson’s grandfather owns Landmark Lanes so Gordon grew up in the alley, gathering fond memories there.

When not bowling with Superior’s team,  Carlson helps out a lot in the alley and enjoys playing a game or two while there. Every Monday Carlson works after school pin-chasing. This takes 3 hours overall. On Saturday’s, it’s family bowling night for the Carlson family. They play a couple of games and bond throughout the night. Carlson loves being in the alley as much as he can, especially in the summer where he has much more free time.

Every year in August, Landmark Lanes raises money for breast cancer. This event lasts one night and has two shifts of bowling with around seven games each. Last August the bowling alley raised over $4,000 and donated the proceeds towards breast cancer awareness.

“It’s had a positive effect overall on my life,” Carlson said. “It gives me something to look forward to on my bad days and makes my good days even better.”

Carlson said that bowling as a sport has kept him out of trouble and has helped make fantastic memories with some of his closest friends. He also recommends people join the team because of the great things that go along with it.