Kontny Steps Up

Superior’s former boys basketball coach Dave Kontny has signed a contract to be the new girls basketball coach

+Girls+basketball+Coach+David+Kontny+gives+advice+to+freshmen+Paige+Tollefson+and+Macie+Tuura++at+open+gym+Wednesday.+%0A

Photo By Albin Swenson

Girls basketball Coach David Kontny gives advice to freshmen Paige Tollefson and Macie Tuura at open gym Wednesday.

By Sam Oosten, Reporter

This past August girls basketball coach Phil Roe announced that he would be stepping down from coaching. In 12 years of coaching at the highschool Roe had a 187-82 record and coached 146 of those games as head coach.

Replacing Roe is Dave Kontny. Kontny applied for the position when it opened up in August because he has a love for the sport and wanted to get back into coaching.

Kontny had 17 years of experience as a head boys basketball coach . Between 2003 and 2013 Kontny was the SHS head boys basketball coach and had the record of 157-59. He has also won seven conference championships, five Regional Championships and one Sectional Championship. Kontny has also coached boys basketball, baseball, football and girls track in the past.

With the season coming around the corner, open gyms have started.

“I have gotten a chance to get to know some of the girls better prior to the season.” Kontny said.

Kontny believes that the girls will accept him as the new coach and that he expects the same effort from himself as he does from them.

Kontny has a very basic coaching style. He plans to come out with a very efficient offense and a disruptive defense to stop the opponent. This is how he coached the boys and this is how he is going to coach the girls.