Parking Problems

Photo By Desiree Jensen

A student has trouble parking in the SHS parking lot because of the limited spaces.

By Jase Goad

There has been limited parking at SHS due to the construction of the new school. Recently it has become more difficult to park on school grounds while the construction crew takes up spots. Now with the limited 270 parking spaces for the students and 85 for staff, it has become more crowded in all the lots available for parking.

The school’s police liaison, Officer Tom Johnson, said that he gives a small grace period for parking tickets before Homecoming. He also stated that you can park on Catlin Ave without a permit, but you may risk getting a ticket from the Superior Police Department instead of Officer Johnson himself.

Staff members are also able to park in the Wessman Arena parking lot if there is no event and they have a staff parking pass. Officer Johnson will be a little harsher when it comes to the parking tickets because he needs to look out for the safety of others. As of now, he has written a couple tickets, not for the permits, but for other parking offenses such as parking in a crosswalk or blocking other spots.Photo By Desiree Jensen

Officer Johnson said that he will put an announcement up soon for students to pick up their permits because he will start writing tickets next week.

Photo By Desiree Jensen
The spaces between the cars are very small in the student parking lot at SHS.