Racing up hill, Cross Country competes at LSC

Kadence Moen

Sophomore Tayler McMeekin places first overall for girls varsity at the Lake Superior Conference, Tuesday Oct. 11.

By Kadence Moen, Reporter

The cross country team competed in a 5k race along with 7 other teams during the Lake Superior Conference, Tuesday Oct. 11. The race was at the Grandview Golf Course just outside of Proctor.

Girls varsity began the race and finished overall 3rd. Boys varsity raced next and placed 4th.

Junior Jacob Lind placed second for the boys team with a time of 17:29. Sophomore Tayler McMeekin placed first for the girls team and finished in 19:39. 

McMeekin explains that this year has been different. She developed knee pain causing her to miss a meet this year. This didn’t stop her from running through the finish line first.

“I was definitely excited with the results, cause I didn’t run the previous meet.” McMeekin says.

The next competition is sectionals in West Salem where the top five individuals and the top two teams go to state, Saturday Oct. 22.

Seniors Ethan Grams, Jasen Bruzek, and Ethan Blohm celebrate finishing the race arm in arm while leaving the golf course after their race. (Kadence Moen)
Senior Savannah Leopold and Freshman Josie Hanson, racing head to head. (Kadence Moen)
Freshman Max Carey running ahead of two others in conference meet while battling an injured ankle. (Kadence Moen)
Junior Jacob Lind races uphill to place overall second for boys varsity. (Kadence Moen)