#7 Seed Spartans upset #6 Cardinals

Sean Hughes

Superior Carter Kalin (29) steps on the ice before their Section Semifinals against the Chippewa Falls Cardinals on Wednesday February 23. The Spartans defeated the Cardinals 4-3 in Chippewa Falls.

By Dale Summerfield Jr., Editor In Chief

Boys Hockey defeated  the Chippewa Falls Cardinals 4-3 in the section semifinals on Wednesday February 23 at Chippewa Ice Arena in Chippewa Falls. The Spartans went up earlier 2-0 with goals from Senior Carter Petit and Junior Trevor Anderson that occurred in the first period. The Cardinals bounced back in the second period  and cut the lead to one.

However towards the end of the second  period the Spartan would score again thanks to Senior Captain Carter Kalin extending Superior’s lead to 3-1. The Spartans would then go up 4-2 on a goal from sophomore Lucas Williams early in the third.

The Cardinals would then mount a comeback scoring a unanswered goal, having Superior hold a tight one goal lead. The last minute of the game was a nail bitter but Superior defended their goal not letting the Cardinals score again.

The Spartans will advance to the sectional finals and will play Friday February 25 against the  #1 seed  Hudson Raiders in Chippewa Falls. Puck drops at 73opm.