Added advisory day: to give teachers dedicated time to teach PBIS lessons

Freshman+Katie+Hughes+%28left%29+and+freshman+Charolette+Johnson+finish+their+schoolwork+in+the+extra+day+of+advisory+on+Sept.+29.+

Brooke Mattson

Freshman Katie Hughes (left) and freshman Charolette Johnson finish their schoolwork in the extra day of advisory on Sept. 29.

The administrative team moved to a two-day-a-week advisory beginning Sept. 23. Last year there was advisory just one day each week.

Principal Rick Flaherty said the main reason the advisory day was added was to give the teachers more time to teach the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports lessons. Teachers are now expected to teach a lesson every advisory day. These lessons are intended to increase the morale of the students. But they also range from teaching students how to be kind to one another to how to take notes in class. 

The added advisory day has raised concerns for students participating in clubs and lunch activities. Junior Satori Rekstad is one of the founders of the Empowerment Club. She said that the change lead her and the club to change which days they now meet.

“We are planning on having the Empowerment Club on Fridays during A lunch,” Rekstad said.

Due to the advisory schedule change, other clubs may also have to change their meeting days and times.

Flaherty has planned to discuss changes in clubs around the school. He also said he wanted to work with the leaders to reschedule the dates with the clubs and activities impacted.

The admin team has been listening to concerns raised by leaders of particular clubs with the intention of working together to figure out any issues,” Flaherty said.