Drop of a Hat

Garrett Labare

Senior Jase Goad works in class Sept. 26 with his hat on in room 3110.

By Alexa Dembroski

With a new year comes new rules. A long-standing rule, however, has just been revised. Headwear is now allowed to be worn, starting this year, during school hours. 

“People can dress how they want more,” junior Kyle Kittleson said. “It gives people more opportunities.”

In fact, almost 94 percent of students surveyed agree with the change in policy. Of those that agree, 58 percent “strongly agree.” 

“I don’t know why it took so long to change,” senior Jase Goad said. “It’s been less distracting. Now teachers don’t have to yell at people to take off their hats.”

Although the idea to change the policy has been around for years, it was the new administrator, Rick Flarehty who finally made the change. 

“The idea to stop worrying about that was when we realized that there’s no research that says wearing a hat keeps a kid from learning and having success in the classroom,” Principal Rick Flarehty said. “Why should we be more worried about hats than students’ ability to read or do math?”

Likewise, six out of seven students surveyed believe that hats do not have any potential to disrupt learning. 

In English teacher Kara Downs’ class on Sept. 26 during 5th hour 4 students were wearing their hats. Two were baseball hats, one was beanie and another was wearing a hood.

“I like that teachers have the option to enforce the rule or not,” English teacher Kara Downs said. “Hats can be a fun expression of who you are and what you enjoy. Besides, hats can keep you warm, and I like to be warm.”

According to Flaherty, he wants to “do the right things to build relationships and support students academically.”