The Spartan Spin

Keep calm and curl

Freshman+Emma+Sislo+%28left%29+and+senior+Heidi+Gondik+sweep+the+rock+toward+the+house+at+the+Superior+Curling+Club+at+the+Head+of+the+Lakes+Fairgrounds+Nov.+28.+Their+team+of+five+competes+against+more+experienced+teams+weekly.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Keep calm and curl

Freshman Emma Sislo (left) and senior Heidi Gondik sweep the rock toward the house at the Superior Curling Club at the Head of the Lakes Fairgrounds Nov. 28. Their team of five competes against more experienced teams weekly.

Megan Jaszczak

Megan Jaszczak

Megan Jaszczak

By Megan Jaszczak, Reporter

Curling has been a part of senior Heidi Gondik’s life since fourth grade, but not until recently did she begin to pursue it on a more serious level. Gondik and four other high school girls, seniors Hailee Melgeorge, Paige Leinon and Mckenzie Lehto, and freshman Emma Sislo, participate in a curling club and compete in bonspiels (tournaments) against other curling teams Wednesday nights at the Superior Curling Club.
“Curling is a really great way for me and my friends to get together and have fun,” Gondik said.
Although she first started in fourth grade, Gondik got back into the game this year because of her friend Mckenzie Lehto, who suggested they should get a team together. From there the girls started practicing once a week, learning to play the sport, apply themselves in the rink and strategize how to win with the help of adults like Bernie Olson, Val Melgeorge, and Tony Sislo, who have curled on their own teams in the past.
These experienced adults aren’t just helpers for the team, though. Gondik and her amatuer teammates play adults who have been curling for years, and although they haven’t won any games yet, Gondik believes her team is really improving.
“We were actually better than I expected. That’s a win for us,” Gondik said.
At their bonspiel Nov. 15, both Gondik and Lehto fell on the ice, laughing as they got up. Since they know they are just beginners and are playing against such experienced opponents, the team laughs at themselves and their lighthearted opponents laugh with them.
“We just have a lot of fun and support each other,” Gondik said, “so if we fail it’s no big deal to us.”
To Gondik and her teammates, curling is an improvement to their lives. It helps them to spend more time with each other and feel better both mentally and physically.
“I get to hangout with my friends and do something interesting,” Gondik said, “And it’s fun because we’re hanging out more consistently and we aren’t just sitting around. We’re getting exercise.”