The Spartan Spin

Halloween rocks the spooky season

Halloween movie poster courtesy of MonstersandCritics.com

By Austin Kohne, Reporter

“Halloween” has a reputation for being one of the most scariest and even disturbing movies in the 20th century. “Halloween” spans eleven films, all based on the original 1978 version directed by John Carpenter, with eight sequels that follow the original.

There have also been two remakes of the famous movie. One was directed by Rob Zombie in 2017, where he took a more disturbing turn and made one sequel. Released Oct. 19 2018, a remake was directed by David Gordon Green and written Danny McBride, who used a more traditional style for the slasher film.

This movie takes place forty years after the events in 1978, where there hasn’t been any sequel storyline until today.

For the first hour of the movie, the dialogue was somewhat cheesy, but they made up for it with a clever plot and good acting. Dialogue in general was something that could’ve been worked on in this movie, which ended up making the movie a little silly at times.

Another thing that was a bit annoying was the screenwork. They had the cameras way too close to the action, and there wasn’t much of a scene to film except for someone’s face or carcass. This didn’t drag on for the entire movie, but I felt that it was important to mention because it seemed so congested.

Even with those drawbacks, I still feel that there’s a lot more pros than cons.

The remake follows the events correctly according to the original 1978 version. It corresponded so well story-wise and costume-wise, especially when Myer’s mask was shown to be beaten up and wrinkled after 40 years without Michael.

The kills were another highlight of the movie and are a big reason why I think it did so well. As a big horror fan, I was pleased with the amount of creativity and originality. Myers still found his signature kitchen knife, yet had to get his hands dirty more than once.

If you have a weak stomach, this movie may not be for you, but for people who enjoy a good slasher film, it lives up to the hype.

“Halloween” has a great feeling of suspense to it and brings realistic fears into mind, as something like this could happen in real life. The movie was great in that respect, but I’d still rate it a 7 out of 10. If the dialogue was fixed up and the family was portrayed more realistically, then it would be a solid 10.

I think “Halloween” is worth seeing even if you don’t like the type of movie, especially because it still shows a lot of creativity and originality within the plot.