The Spartan Spin

Spartans invaded at homecoming game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spartans invaded at homecoming game

Cutline: Spartan football team huddles together as a team On Friday October 5th at Superior High sports complex

By Tyler Gucinski

On Friday October 5th, the Superior Spartans faced off against the River Falls Wildcats at the Superior Spartans sports complex. The Wildcats are ranked as number nine in the state. The game started off good for our team as our junior quarterback Jarrett Gronski made a big reception to our sophomore receiver Carter  Fonger.

The game started to get worse as the Wildcats ran a touchdown with 21 seconds left in the first quarter, and they successfully completed the 2 point conversion to make the score 0-8. With 7 minutes and fifty five seconds left in the second quarter, Gronski threw a touchdown attempt to senior receiver James Bronson but the pass was incomplete. It looked as though it might have passed interference on the defence, but it was not called.

On the next drive the Wildcats ran into a touchdown with five minutes and thirty six seconds left in the second quarter and once again successfully complete the two point conversion to make the score 0-16.

The Spartans gained hope and momentum as they recover a fumble with 16 seconds left before halftime but then Gronski was sacked on the first and only play before halftime.

River Falls scored a touchdown pass with eight minutes and thirty six seconds left to spare in the third quarter to make it 22-0.

Once again the Wildcats ran into a touchdown with one minute and sixteen seconds left in the third quarter to make it 0-28. The Wildcats scored another touchdown with nine minutes and forty eight seconds left in the fourth quarter to make  0-34. The Wildcats missed the 2 point conversion attempt.

The following kickoff Gronski had a 45 yard return. During that drive he ran a touchdown with seven minutes and thirty four seconds left in the final quarter to make it 8-34.

The Wildcats successfully scored another touchdown to make it 8-40.Soon after junior Spencer Gudowski was put in as quarterback. He ran in a 4 yard touchdown to make the score 14-8, but the Spartans completed the 2 point conversion. The Wildcats won the game 16-40.