The Spartan Spin

Spartan Hot Rod team tackles two projects

Mentor Brad Engstrom talks before the auction of the truck on May 20. The truck was worked on by seniors for their senior project then sold at the car show at auction.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

By Jonathan Chicka, Reporter

Over $7,000 worth of parts and work went into the 2009 Chevy Silverado donated to the Spartan Hot Rod team by Enbridge. A four-inch lift, a new coat of red paint, new headlights and deep detailing were apart of this year’s project.

This year three seniors participated in the build: Morgan Schoeder, Kain Walberg and Andrew Backlin. The Silverado, a four-door work truck, was this years main project for the team.  

“We had to grind the rust off and weld the new rockers on the bottom,” Schoeder said.  “Also they sealed the frame with Rustoleum on the bottom and I got to learn how to do that.”

They also lifted the truck and bought new aftermarket wheels and all-terrain tires to fit underneath. The truck also has new LED headlights and taillights along with many other modifications.

“It was a really good learning experience and I learned to be more independent. I feel like I can work on my own car without assistance,” Schoeder said.

The team, headed by Schoeder, refurbished the truck as well as an additional project, a 2018 Ford Focus that the team fitted with aftermarket rims and an RS front fender and wing.

“Benna lent us the car and the modifications to work on because they wanted us to get experience with an all-new vehicle,” Schroeder said. “It was very cool to work on another project in addition to the truck even though it was a lot of work.”

The Benna Ford RS upfit by the Spartan Youth Hot Rod group is for sale at Benna Ford for $19,971 and will include all of the stock parts as well as the modification the team made to it.

The 2009 Silverado was auctioned at the “Kars at the Kitchen” car show on May 20. It sold for $17,500. Over 40 cars were shown that day in addition to silent auction and raffle items with proceeds all going to next year’s build.

“I was very satisfied and I felt accomplished with my work, it was cool to see it all come together,” Schoeder said.

The Spartan Hot Rod is available for any senior to do as their senior project. Students who are interested in next years build can contact Senior Project Coordinator Rob Scott.