The Spartan Spin

School Honors Students for Excellence

Seniors Sophie Kintop and Megan Hanson pose for a photo after Honors Night on Wednesday, May 30.

Josie Goad

Josie Goad

By Josie Goad, Editor

Students walked across the stage for Honors Night on Wednesday, May 30, in the Performing Arts Center. All were honored with certificates and a few received medals for excelling in specific school departments.

Seniors Blake Hanson and Sophie Kintop were awarded honors for their work in athletics and academics.

Hanson received awards from the science department, social studies department and a Frank Cirilli Male Scholar Athlete.

“I think being a captain for three years on the soccer team as well as the awards I received from there is what really set me apart from the others,” Hanson.

Kintop was one of the two honored with the Frank Cirilli Female Scholar Athlete. Kintop said that being involved in numerous sports and holding leadership positions in them is what set her apart from other students.

“I was kind of shocked, but I was proud because all my hard work from all my high school sports finally paid off,” Kintop said.

Senior Sarah Cannon was one of the three students honored with the Presidential Education Award and the Wisconsin Department of Higher Education Scholarship. Cannon received her awards for having one of the top three highest grade point averages in the school.

“I was really happy because I put a lot of hard work into what I do,” Cannon said. “So I was excited that I finally got the recognition for it.”

In order to receive an honor from a department, students must be nominated by a teacher. To receive an athletic award, students must be involved in multiple sports, have a high grade point average and be involved in their school and community. To receive an academic award, students must have an high grade point average. If there is a tie, there are rules in place to break them.

Seniors Sarah Cannon and Hunter Summers pos for a photo after Honors Night on Wednesday, May 30.