Spin Treks to MIA for Photography Education

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Spartan Spin staff walks into the Minneapolis Institute of Art on March 23.

Jonathan Chicka

Jonathan Chicka

Jonathan Chicka

By Jonathan Chicka, Reporter

After two hours packed into a coach bus, The Spartan Spin staff and advisers stretched their legs as they walked into the Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA) on March 23.

The purpose of the trip was to learn about photography and photojournalism. On the trip, students were assigned to take ten photos depicting the events of the day and present them to the class with cutlines the next day. They were expected to tell a story throughout the day in a photojournalistic style.

As a member of the Spartan Spin, and the reporter choosing the task of capturing this for our website, I really liked the trip. It was the third time I have traveled with the newspaper group so I knew what lay ahead.

The morning journey started with a bus ride down to Hinckley to stop for breakfast and coffee.

When we got to the museum it was filled with students from local elementary schools and group, so we had to wade our way through the sea of children. We all parted into small groups to explore different parts of the expansive building.

I set out to find some good photos of people and art for my assignment. Finding our way around the whole museum can take hours or even days so I knew I would never get through it all. I decided to set out for the modern art exhibit to find some new creations.

Immediately after stepping into the exhibit I was taken aback by the large sprawling artworks and sculptures that I would have never thought possible to create.

As the day drew to a close and it was time to leave, we all found ourselves in the gift shop to buy a momento to remember the day. One of our advisors, Sam Church, found an art piece that was a representation of the museum itself. This large print was on sale for $10.26 which was down from its original price of $95. Without thinking much of it, we bought the last 6.

The trip ended with us back on the bus, photos in hand and naps all around. One more stop at Tobies in Hinckley for snacks and a bathroom resulted in a few more photos and memories and then we were back, home at last.

Senior and reporter Jonathan Chicka takes a photo of his view on the way to school – getting ready for the MIA trip on March 23.

Senior Ty Russ sleeps on the bus after waking up extra early for the trip on March 23.

Students flock to Tobies in Hinckley, MN on March 23.

Senior Kaven holds up a bag from Tobies with a cinnamon roll in it on March 23.

Advisor Andy Wolfe talks with students after lunch on March 23.

Jonathan Chicka

Advisor Andy Wolfe takes a picture of reporter Jonathan Chicka taking a picture of him on March 23.

Sophomore Jada McGuirk takes a photo of a sculpture for a photography assignment on March 23.

Senior Josie Goad imitates a statue on March 23.

Seniors Ruth Moder and Josie Goad take photos of each other on March 23.

Senior Josie Goad takes a photo of volunteer Sam Church on March 23.

Seniors Ruth Moder and Josie Goad imitate a sculpture on March 23.