The Spartan Spin

‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Portrait+of+Armand+Roulin+by+Vincent+Van+Gogh%2C+1888.+%E2%80%9CLoving+Vincent%E2%80%9D+follows+the+character+of+Armand+Roulin+as+he+investigates+Van+Gogh.+
Portrait of Armand Roulin by Vincent Van Gogh, 1888. “Loving Vincent” follows the character of Armand Roulin as he investigates Van Gogh.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.

By Kat Caven, Reporter

On March 4, “Coco,” directed by Lee Unkrich, scored the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film that should have belonged to “Loving Vincent.”

“Loving Vincent,” directed by Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman, is revolutionary in the world of animation; it is the first fully painted film ever created, according to Smithsonianmag.com.

The film has both a never-before seen style of animation, with swirls and gobs of oil paint shaping every scene, and a plot that follows the last few days of Vincent Van Gogh’s life. “Loving Vincent” utilized more than 65,000 paintings during its six-year-long production, according to lovingvincent.com.

Van Gogh was an iconic artist famous for his tragic life, and the movie about his grim end is compelling and heartbreaking as well as delightful to watch due to its innovative animation.

According to Agence  France-Presse at news.abs-cbn.com, “‘Coco,’ which won viewers’ hearts,” is  “exploding with the sights and sounds of Mexico’s Day of the Dead — brightly painted skulls, orange marigold flowers.” But “Coco” is just another film made by Pixar marketed to children and families that follows the same basic formula: the protagonist is unable to do something, works to overcome adversity, and the movie ends with a happy resolution. Heart-warming, maybe, but utterly predictable.

Pixar is a talented studio, but its animation style is, like its plot lines, easy to predict. With Disney’s adoption of Pixar animation techniques, the character design becomes ever more popular, but as a consequence, ever more bland.

The crew that made “Loving Vincent” is also filled with talent. In fact, according to lovingvincent.com, it took over 100 different painters to create the film.

According to lovingvincent.com, the creators produced their labor of love “not because we want to be the first, or that we want to set any records. It is because we believe that you cannot truly tell Vincent’s story without his paintings, so we needed to bring his paintings to life.”

The film is now available for purchase or rent on iTunes.

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars”

1. Not-Oscar on March 19th, 2018 2:23 pm

Man, Coco was my favorite movie of all time! Just because the movie you wanted to did not win doesn’t mean you get to hate on a movie loved by people of all ages. Also there are lizard people running the government and the moon is a hologram.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

“Love Simon” Creates Atmosphere of Acceptance

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

Return of SAGA-Con

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

Open Mic Night Opens Coffeehouse Doors to SHS Students

• Arts and Entertainment

Why I Think The Grammy’s Got Rap Wrong

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

New Godzilla Stomps to Netflix

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

Winter concert hits a high note

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

Charts groove into the new year

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

Publisher Review Con

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

Punisher Review Pro

• ‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars

Arts and Entertainment

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Student News Site of Superior High School
‘Loving Vincent’ Snubbed at Oscars