Dance Team Kicks Their Way to State

+Senior+captain+Tianna+Banks+holds+the+American+Flag+on+Jan.+30+during+the+varsity+kick+performance+in+the+SHS+gymnasium.+%0A

Photo By Chloe Aiken

Senior captain Tianna Banks holds the American Flag on Jan. 30 during the varsity kick performance in the SHS gymnasium.

By Chloe Aiken, Reporter

For the 11th year in a row, the SHS Dance team is headed to state. This past weekend they competed at regionals, which was held at Wausau East High School. The performers won second place in the Division 1 kick category with their dance “A Hero Salute,” which is a tribute to America. The Wisconsin State Dance competition will be held this weekend in LaCrosse.

Senior captain Tianna Banks is hoping the team will fix the mistakes they made at regionals.

“We only had a couple missed formations and one missed kick, so hopefully we fix that and get the dance sharp enough to place high this year,” Banks said.

Senior captain Kate Lisak has a different goal for the team this weekend. She hopes the team will have high energy and knows that the adrenaline they get on the floor will help with that.  

“It’s amazing how high your kicks are and how much energy you feel like you have,” Lisak said. “I just want every girl to be able to feel that and enjoy being with our team for one last time with our seniors.”

Lisak believe the talent and commitment of this team this year is what is going to make state.

“We have the most flexibility and girls that are willing to come in and have fun and make dance their full commitment so that’s very interesting and exciting this year,” Lisak said.

The dance team will be having a state send off this Friday. It is held in the SHS gym and will begin at 7:40am.