UWS Cuts Majors, Worries Community

Photo By Jonathan Chicka

UWS student Emily Coch writes letters to the administration letting them know that she is not okay with their decision.

By Jonathan Chicka, Reporter

On Monday, UWS students gathered in the Yellowjacket Union to protest the shutdown of multiple majors and minors, and bring awareness to the issue facing the school and community.

The event was organized by Emily Coch, a student majoring in art education, who feels strongly about the major’s importance and wants it to be there for future students.

“The point of the matter is they (the administrators) made a life changing decision for current and future students without consulting anyone,” Coch said. “This is really going to hurt enrollment and the reputation of UWS.”

The cancellation of programs came on Oct. 31, when administration staff released a list of 29 majors and minors that will not allow enrollment for future students. Although students will be able to finish their programs, the programs will not be available for new students.

The programs cut range from art education to physics. This is concerning to prospective students, such as senior Mayzie Sickler who planned to attend UWS as an Art Therapy Major in 2018.

“It’s very frustrating and disappointing because it ruins my plan,” Sickler said. “It feels like a hopeless situation but the passion from the students and community is very inspiring.”

People in the UWS community continue to seek out opportunities to protest the issue and spread awareness. Students are encouraging the community to sign the petition against program cuts.